Retractable door handles - 2019 Hyundai NEXO Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Retractable door handles

One of the cooler exterior features of the Nexo has to be its retractable door handles. Similar to what's seen on premium models like the Range Rover Velar, the Nexo certainly doesn't look like any other SUV from the Korean automaker. Both inside and out Hyundai has gone high tech for their first FC vehicle.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Such a simple design cue that will really make a difference in the premium feel of this model. Are there any issues with these kinds of handles in colder climates? (I know most FCV are starting in Cali).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Sadly most people will look at this and say Hyundai copied Tesla but truth is it just so happens that Tesla was one of the first, throughout the industry we'll see this feature become a trend.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

A lot of automakers will be following suit as they attempt to reduce drag and improve security of their future models. My main concern of having another powered component is what happens when it stops working?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstom View Post
A lot of automakers will be following suit as they attempt to reduce drag and improve security of their future models. My main concern of having another powered component is what happens when it stops working?
I think the industry has come a long way over the years that this will rarely be an issue. Lucky for us, referring what Tesla owners have been through will help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Something that a lot of people fail to mention with retractable door handles is the fact that they allow you to know at a glance whether or not your car is locked from the outside. Even if there were originally designed to improve aerodynamics, you have to admit that they also have a cool factor to them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Not a problem for me, rarely forget to lock my car and when I have, nothing went missing. Haven't hear from any one in over 10+ years of thefts occurring that way.
At best it used to be fuel siphoning on older vehicles that didn't come with locking fuel doors.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page