Solar roofs from 2019 - 2019 Hyundai NEXO Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Solar roofs from 2019

Hyundai and Kia have recently announced plans to offer solar panel roofs on their cars from 2019. They haven't confirmed specific markets or vehicles, but expect them to be fitted on most hybrid/electric models. Early reports suggest that up to three systems are currently in development and its believes that these roofs will be able to charge the battery between 30 and 60 percent within a day depending on sunlight. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oofs-from-2019
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM

I'm all for this and at the same time surprised that more areas of the vehicles exterior aren't used like the windows and wheels in more subtle forms.
Still, i'm a bit skeptical about how much range we can actually gain from these, real world testing by owners will be required.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Fisker already attempted this technology and it failed. I think those charging figures are a bit optimistic, as I don't feel like there is enough surface area to generate that kind of power. But hey maybe Kia/Hyundai have found a more efficient way to implement it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:58 PM

I sort of support the move to not include solar panels because its just a bandaid solution, the real solution is in lighter body material, weight is a massive disadvantage.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Automakers do need to find alternative ways to recuperate energy outside of regenerative brakes. I don't know if solar tech is quite as advanced as it needs to be, to really be applicable in the auto industry but its good that mainstream brands are investing in it now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page